Saturday, July 16, 2016

Love It, Like It, or Lose It

In an effort to clear out the stash of skincare and makeup products that I can’t seem to stop accumulating, (GWP and Subscription Box addict here!) I decided to make a rule for myself: I will test out at least 5 new products every week and then either keep it/finish it up, gift it to a friend, or take it to a local women’s shelter with my next donation.

This past week I tested the following:

Rituals Yogi Flow Foaming Shower Gel - The claim:  Gel that transforms into a rich foam.  Contains Indian Rose and Sweet Almond Oil.

Thoughts: That’s a lot of lather!  “Rich foam” indeed!  Highly scented and lingers on the skin for more than 20 minutes  post shower.  (Yes, I was walking around the house sniffing my arm.)  It’s not so strong it would interfere with additional fragrance however.  This is a keeper.

Cotz Flawless Complexion SPF 50 - The claim:  Sheer, lightweight sun protection.  Preservative, chemical, and oil free.  Suitable for acne prone skin.

Thoughts: I was dubious about the “lightweight” claims on this but ended up being pleasantly surprised.  Not the thick, goopy, white paste I’ve come to expect from non-chemical sunscreens, and especially those with a high SPF.  This looks and feels almost like a tinted moisturizer.  Looked great underneath my foundation and my skin was matte even after nearly 10 hours of wear. Love!

Kate Somerville DermalQuench Liquid Lift - The Claim:  Increase firmness, cell turnover, and collagen production.  Decrease dark spots and other imperfections.

Thoughts:  Obviously I’m not going to see any anti-aging results in just a week.  BUT… I had zero irritation and no breakouts.  Used with argan oil I didn’t see an increase in dryness either.  This one earns a “love” rating for the time being.
Clarins Gentle Eye Makeup Remover - The Claim:  Gently remove light to medium eye makeup.  Safe for sensitive eyes.

Thoughts:  The formula itself is non-irritating.  What IS irritating is that I’m counting 5,6,+ swipes with a cotton ball and still seeing makeup on my eyes (and it’s not waterproof makeup either).  There are definitely better eye makeup removers out there.

BareSkin Pure Brightening Serum Foundation 01 - The Claim:  Skin tone correcting foundation and brightening serum in one. “Ultra thin silky texture” and “no makeup look and feel”.

Thoughts:  Color was a great match for my skin tone.  I was surprised at the thick texture and medium/full coverage…  Maybe I have an old bottle? This was definitely not “Ultra thin with a no makeup look.” Since I typically don’t need this much coverage, (other than some redness on my chin) this isn’t one I’ll be reaching for often.

No comments:

Post a Comment